CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Garden Demise

Our beautiful garden had a major setback yesterday. The hail came and went in about 10 minutes but managed to do it's share of damage. I went over this morning to take a few pictures. It is really muddy and wasn't able to get many up-close shots and tried to zoom in on some of them. All in all, however, I thought things looked some better than right after the storm. So many of the plants had had blossoms on and so I'm not sure that the plants will recover enough to produce more in time to give us any kind of crop this year. Everything that I have read says that we need to give it a few days to recover before assessing damage and deciding whether to replant. So I guess that is where we are at. Maybe we will manage to get the follage back but who knows about the "fruits". The tomatoes look better but no longer have any blossoms. Their stems look pretty sturdy and unbroken so I guess that is good. We are thankful that we had put them in cages just 3 days before. I think that helped them to "weather the storm".
The peas also looked better today but are all layed over. I hope if we stake them up and mound them with dirt (when it dries out) that they will be able to still produce. I was so looking forward to new potatoes and peas.

The corn is a bit wilted but I hope it will survive, too. This is the first that we had planted. They still needed to be thinned and hopefully we can take out the worse of the seedlings and still have them make it ok. The later rows were just coming up so I think they will be fine.

The rest of the garden: cucumbers, zucchini, hubbard squash, cantaloupe, watermellon, etc., are pretty well beaten. Pictures below are of those vegetables but after taking the pictures I wasn't able to identify all of them. Kind of like a "vegie salad".


I think this is hubbard squash???



Cantaloupe maybe??

Zucchini?

Anyway, it gives you an idea of what is left. A little discouraging if you put them up to the pictures posted a week or so ago.

It would be easier if we knew what to do ...... replant or not to replant .... that is the question!

0 comments: